If you are looking for the best weeknight Chicken Shawarma look no further. This crock pot chicken shawarma is so easy to throw into the crockpot in the morning and have dinner ready to eat when you get home! With minimal ingredients and a finishing method to make the chicken really pop this Chicken Shawarma in the Slow Cooker will become a regular on your dinner rotation! Also included is the recipe to make Naan Bread at home!
Making Naan Bread at home
Making Naan Bread at home is easier than you might think! This soft bread is super tasty and it freezes very well! Dip in hummus, make a wrap, or just munch with garlic butter. How do you Naan? I made some at home and then made these Crock Pot Chicken Shawarma Wraps. You can also purchase Naan Bread at the store, and it is just as delicious!
Ingredients: 2 tsp dry active yeast, 1 tsp honey, 1/2 cup warm water, 2 1/2-3 cups flour (divided), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup greek yogurt, 1 egg
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes or until it is frothy on top. Once frothy, whisk in the oil, yogurt, and egg until evenly combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next, pour the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour, a half cup at a time, until you can no longer stir it with a spoon (about 1 to 1.5 cups later).
- Turn the ball of dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding small amounts of flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. The dough should be smooth and very soft but not sticky. Avoid adding excessive amounts of flour as you knead, as this can make the dough too dry and stiff.
- Loosely cover the dough and let it rise until double in size (about 1 hour). After it rises, gently flatten the dough into a disc and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the bottom is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface. Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown as well.
- Serve plain or brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with herbs!
Crock Pot Chicken Shawarma Recipe
Traditionally chicken shawarma is seasoned chicken stacked on a vertical rotisserie spit, but since that is very hard to replicate at home I have a few tips I have learned along the way to get your slow cooker chicken shawarma to taste as close to the roadside stand version as we can get.
First off, you want to use chicken thighs for this meal. The fat content/dark meat of the thigh is exactly what you need to get the best tasting shawarma at home. Overall the chicken thigh will give you the right taste and texture you want for this meal. If you only have chicken breasts, that will work just fine but know the texture will be a bit off, but still yummy!
Second you will want to finish the chicken under the broiler. It takes only an extra 5 minutes but it makes a huge difference! You will want to put the chicken and onions on a sheet pan, shred the chicken and place it under a broiler for not even 5 minutes to get little crispy brown pieces on the chicken, just like at a restaurant! Now this step isn’t absolutely necessary but it is highly encouraged and can make all the difference in the final product!
How to Serve your Crock Pot Chicken Shawarma
This time I keep it fresh with tomato and cucumbers, pickled red onions, fresh dill, and Tzatziki sauce all on fresh Naan Bread. Don’t forget the squeeze of fresh lemon! You could also include hummus, tahini, pickles, and even french fries (in the sandwich). This chicken is delicious though so you could also put it in a wrap, on a salad, use it on top of a flatbread, with fragrant rice (or quinoa), or serve it platter/family style with all of the above foods.
If you loved this meal idea, as I’m sure you did… check out these other delicious recipes!
- Mediterranean Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce
- Grilled Pesto Zucchini with Orzo
- Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Caprese Pasta Primavera
- Salmon Avocado Toast
- Blackberry Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
Crock Pot Chicken Shawarma Wrap
This crock pot chicken shawarma is so easy to throw into the crockpot in the morning and have dinner ready to eat when you get home! With minimal ingredients and a finishing method to make the chicken really pop this Chicken Shawarma in the Slow Cooker will become a regular on your dinner rotation! Also included is the recipe to make Naan Bread at home! .
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 c. avocado oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1.5-2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 1 small white onion, sliced into slivers
- In the slow cooker, combine all ingredients (except chicken and onions) and mix well.
- Add chicken and onion to the slow cooker. Mix with sauce in slow cooker to coat the chicken and onions.
- Slow cook for 7-8 hours on low OR 3-4 hours on high until chicken is tender.
- When chicken is done turn your oven to broil. Transfer chicken and onions to a sheet pan, leaving the juice in the slow cooker. Shred the chicken and spread out to an even layer on the sheet tray. Transfer to the middle rack of the oven and broil 3-5 minutes until the edges of the chicken start to crisp up and brown slightly. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Make into a wrap with naan bread, top with tomato and cucumbers, pickled red onions, fresh dill, and Tzatziki sauce! Or any combination that makes your taste buds sing!
Pin and share this Chicken Shawarma Wrap recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!