I was recently in Florida visiting family for my birthday and I am very blessed to have a family that feeds my foodie tendencies through gifts that I then get to play with! I received a kitchen aid mixer, say whaaat! I also received a mortar and pestle, 2 cook books, and a Cajun seasoning mix form World Market. Thank you for all my beautiful gifts that I have been geeking out about since I received them!! This recipe for Cajun Chicken with Peaches and Basil is a great use of it!
When I got home to Charlotte, I was already planning things I can make with my new gifts. I had some peaches and lemons in the fridge but after being gone from home for a while, that was about ALL I had on hand. Fortunately, I had some chicken in the freezer, basil in the garden, and this new fancy Cajun seasoning.
I was pleasantly surprised by the seasoning mix. It is slightly spicy, almost smoky and sweet with a hint of brown sugar and salt. This paired with the sweetness of the peaches perfectly!! I also made a sweet orange sauce to coat the chicken and add a nice contrast to the Cajun seasoning.
To start, I coated chicken breast and chicken thighs with the seasoning and let sit to marinate while I prepped the rest of the ingredients. I made a sweet sauce out of orange marmalade, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. I then seared the chicken in a hot cast iron skillet on both sides and slid it in to a 350-degree oven to finish cooking.
Once the chicken was finished, I moved it to a plate and added the peaches and orange sauce directly to the skillet with some chicken stock. By making the sauce in the pan, all the juices and flavor the chicken left behind creating a deep flavorful sauce!
Cajun Chicken with Peaches and Basil, it’s what’s for dinner!
I topped the chicken with the peaches and sauce, fresh basil, avocado, and some green onions for color and flavor! I have to say, there are times when even I can impress my taste buds, and this is one of those recipes. Sweet, salty, a bit of spice, and delicious until the last bite.
I paired the Cajun Chicken with Peaches and Basil with couscous I had mixed with feta, basil, lemon, and toasted almonds to make a complete meal and added some avocado to the chicken to help cut the heat. The leftovers were just as good the next day!
If you love easy dinners, check out these other recipes! They will not let you down and are full of great kitchen tips!
- Pork Chops Smothered in Sautéed Apples, Onions, and a Rosemary Mustard Sauce
- Italian Sausage, Squash, and Pasta Toss
- Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary Cranberry Balsamic Sauce
- Shepherds Pie
- Garlic Thyme Mushrooms
Cajun Chicken with Peaches and Basil
Spicy, Sweet, and Salty. This summer time dish comes together with Cajun chicken, a sweet orange sauce, peaches and fresh basil. Dinner will never be boring again.
- 1 medium lemon
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp world market Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced peached (2 medium peaches)
- 2 tbsp. chicken stock
- Fresh Basil and Green Onion (for garnish)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grate zest from one lemon; squeeze juice from lemon and stir together zest, juice, and orange marmalade in small bowl.
- Sprinkle chicken with Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, and sear on each side until browned. Transfer to the oven for 5-10 minutes to finish cooking (internal temperature should read 165 degrees).
- Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and set aside. Over medium high heat, in same pan chicken was cooked, add sliced peaches and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add in orange mixture, and chicken stock.
- Stir until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes
- Spoon peach and sauce mixture over chicken. Top with basil, green onion, and sliced avocado. Serve hot!